Saturday, August 16, 2008

Arlecchino Am Making Polenta

After getting the play that I'm currently referring to as "Total War: The Overly Ambitious First Play By Ian Thal" (though I'm toying with the alternate title of "Papers in the Snow") to the point where I am seeking staged readings, I have decided that I enjoy being a playwright, and I am already trying to figure out which of many projects that I could work on, I should work on. Even more importantly: How do I start on any one of them?

Sometimes, when confronted with too many creative options after finishing a project, it is easy to not know what to do next, and it is easy for an artist to feel without purpose. So yesterday, I took the improvisation I had developed with inspiration from Dario Fo's La Fame dello Zanni ("The Starving Zanni") and typed up a one-person one-act play, "Arlecchino Am Eternally Ravenous."

Immediately after, I made polenta with gorgonzola. I feel much better now.

Photo by Shannon O'Connor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which reminds me, I still need to read your ms. Been a terribly busy summer and now the fall has started.

Ian Thal said...

There's not a huge rush. Few playscripts don't go through a series of revisions once the writer and text encounter a theatre company. I also just came upon Robert A. Krieg's Catholic Theologians in Nazi Germany which might be relevant as I revise certain scenes