Thursday, July 12, 2007

Rehearsals begin for Macbeth

Last night a large group of actors whose heads I forgot to count met crowded into the Somerville art space, Willoughby and Baltic, a former ambulance garage converted into an art gallery and marionette theatre, and sat down along a long train of café tables. It was first time the full cast of the Lallygagging Players' production of Macbeth met to rehearse. Our director and producer, David Letendre and Brigid Battell (who is also playing Lady Macbeth) introduced the concept, unlike most productions of Shakespeare's plays, we are working directly from the unmodernized text of the first folio with close attention to the scansion of the original text and its eccentric spelling conventions of the early seventeenth century. That so close attention is being paid to Shakespeare's poetic language adds to my confidence in a production that is to be staged in such a non-traditional venue with a new company. (Of course both Letendre and Battell have already been active in local theatre, directing and acting in numerous plays in more traditional venues with other theatre companies.)

I am playing the characters of the Captain who recounts Macbeth's victory over MacDonwald and King Sweno, the Old Man who first speaks of such perversions of nature as horses eating one another, a number of unnamed Lords, and Seyton, Macbeth's aid in the final act. These are my first roles in a Shakespeare play-- something I had been actively working towards this past year. (I auditoned with Sonnet 28-- which I had recited at the Shakespeare Sonnet-athon his past April.)

Interestingly enough it's not my first time this year involved with some piece of theatre that originally served as political propaganda for the reign of King James I of England and Scotland as earlier this year i Sebastiani had performed an anti-masque to Samuel Daniel's court-masque, The Vision of the Twelve Goddesses.

2 comments:

Lis Riba said...

Just found your blog thru Shakespeare Geek.

Excited to hear about more forthcoming Shakespeare performances in the Boston area.

FYI, http://bard-in-boston.livejournal.com/ is a central listing site for Shakespeare-related events in the Boston area.

So once you have more details about when, where and how much tix for the Scottish Play will be, please post it there (if you've got an LJ account). If you don't have an LJ account, leave a comment to a post by cheshyre (me) and I'll make sure it's added to the top of the page.

Break a leg!

Ian Thal said...

Lis, thank you both for the heads up about the Bard in Boston blog and for wishing me a well deserved bit of bodily harm! I don't have an LJ account, but I may look into it.

Shakespeare Geek is becoming one of my favorite blogs to visit. Duane's enthusiasm is remarkable.

Unfortunately, our production dates are up in the air due to that famous curse.