Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Photos from the February 9th Show


Thanks to my friend, Shannon O'Connor, I have photographic documentation of my recent show at Willoughby and Baltic. As well as being a showcase for some of the repertoire I have been developing over the past several years, the show was an opportunity for me to try some new material out on an audience. One new piece was a corporeal mime and mask piece entitled "O, Mister Sun" and the other was a my first attempt at a solo commedia dell'arte piece that was inspired by the Dario Fo's performance of La Fame dello Zanni, a classic lazzo from the traditional repertoire. My version includes a visit to both Paradisio and Inferno in Arlecchino's quest to fill his growling belly. The full photo gallery begins here.

Special thanks to Meredith Garniss of Willoughby and Baltic for inviting me to perform again.

Somerville's newest newspaper, The Powderhouse posted a review of the show to its website

5 comments:

Moonshadow said...

Ian - do you make your own masks or where do you purchase them? From the pictures it looks like it was wonderful show.

Ian Thal said...

Hi Moonshadow,

I make my own masks, but since I am still developing my skills in that area I often incorporate store bought items to help with difficult areas like the bridge of the nose. More of my work can be seen here.

Moonshadow said...

Your masks are GREAT! There's just enough to them to totally change the character completely. Are they paper mache?

Ian Thal said...

Yes, they are papier-mâché. The trick is using different textures and thicknesses of paper for different effects.

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?